Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

Passport FAQs
Consular Services FAQs


  • 1.   Does the applicant require to come in person for renewal of passport?

    Yes, for all passport related services applicant should come in person.

  • 2.   How many photographs are required while applying for Passport?
    4 passport size (3cm X 5cm) recent colored photographs (with white or light colour background).
  • 3.   Fee for Passport related services?
    Click here on passport related services

  • 4.   If pages in the passport are finished, what can be done?
    Applicant needs to apply for a New Passport.
    Note: Payments cannot be made online however you have the facility to make a payment at the Passport centre itself when you come to submit your documents. The fee can only be paid in cash.
  • 5.   What is the procedure for renewal of passport, if issued in India and how long will it take?

  • 6.   What is the procedure to renew the passport if the passport has been issued in Kuala Lumpur?

    The documents required are 4 photographs, original passport, application form duly filled and signed and requisite fee. Processing time – Minimum 4 working days.
  • 7.   What is the procedure to apply for passport of a newly born child in Kuala Lumpur?

    Documents required are 4 photographs, Birth certificate (Original) and copy of Birth certificate, Parents' passports and copies of parents' passports, marriage certificate, application form for registration of birth duly signed by both the parents, application form for issue of new passport duly filled with the thumb print of the child (In case of girl child right hand thumb impression is to be put and in case of boy child then left hand thumb impression is to be put) and requisite fee. Processing time - three working days.
  • 8.   What is the procedure to change the name in the passport?

    If the name is wrongly written then, applicant must show original birth certificate or any other relevant documents to get the name corrected. If the applicant wants to change the name he has to do a Deed Poll with Notary Public, declare in the leading newspapers (atleast one in India & one in Malaysia) and after a month's time bring a copy of the published note, deed poll and apply for change of name. Processing time - three working days in case of passports issued in Kuala Lumpur and one month in case of passports issued by other offices, after completion of the above formalities.
  • 9.   What is the procedure to change photograph of child in passport?

    The applicant has to apply for a new passport. Please submit applications forms with 4 latest passport size colored photographs, original passport and requisite fee. On the application form thumb print of the child is to be put if the child cannot sign.
  • 10.   10. What is the procedure to apply for duplicate passport in case of lost and damaged passport?

    If the passport is damaged the applicant has to submit damaged passport along with the following:-
    • 1. Application form duly filled up
    • 2. Additional information form
    • 3. 4 photos and requisite fee
    • 4. Statement on reasons for damage to the passport
    • 5. Letter from the employer/company
    • 6. Original Levy Receipt
    • 7. Copy of Immigration 's computer print-out for valid visa

    • If the passport is lost, the applicant has to submit the following along with the application form:-

    • 1. Police complaint report from Malaysian Police
    • 2. Letter from Employer
    • 3. Levy Receipt
    • 4. Special pass from Immigration authorities
    • 5. Copy of the passport
    • 6. Additional Information form
    • 7. Statutory declaration form
    A duplicate passport is issued upon verification. The process of issuing duplicate passport takes approximately 5 weeks.
  • 11.   What is the procedure to apply for Emergency certificate?

    When an Indian national loses his/her passport in Malaysia in the normal course he/she should apply for issue of a duplicate passport along with necessary documents. However, if he/she wishes to travel one way from Kuala Lumpur to India, then Emergency certificate is issued to him/her upon request, for this he/she has to get complaint report from Malaysian Police, confirmed air-ticket to India and submit along with copy of his/her passport or any documentary proof showing that he/she is an Indian National, application form and requisite fee. The applicant should also give a detailed statement of the circumstances necessitating issuance of Emergency Certificate. The EC will be issued after due verification.
  • 12.   Can parents sign on behalf of a child?

    No, the parents cannot sign on behalf of the child. If the child cannot sign, the thumb impression of the child is to be put at place of signature. If the child is a girl right hand thumb impression is to be put and if it is a boy then left hand thumb impression is to be put.
  • 13.   What is the procedure for renouncing the Indian citizenship?

    When an applicant opts to take foreign citizenship he has to apply for cancellation of his Indian passport. At the time of cancellation of his passport he has to submit original passport and original letter from Immigration and Checkpoints Authority along with photocopy of the passport.
  • 14.   I have shifted my residence. Should I change my address in the passport? If change is required, what are the documents required and how much time will it take?

    It is up to you to change the address. It is always better if your passport indicates your current address. For this purpose, you need to fill up form-II and submit it along with valid proof of your residential address.
  • 15.   My Passport has been issued from outside Malaysia. Can I apply for services in the High Commission Of India, Malaysia?

    Yes. You can apply for all passport services at the Passport Office where you are presently residing.
  • 16.   I don't have ECNR stamp in my Passport. Can I get it on the basis of my provisional matriculation or above certificate issued by the University/Board concerned?

    We are no longer affixing ECNR stamp in passports. Currently, ECR stamp is only being put in passports. However, you are entitled to ECNR status if you possess qualification of Matriculation or above.
  • 17.   I have downloaded the application form from your website. Can I fill it up & submit?

    1. Yes.
  • 18.   I am married recently whereas my passport was issued a years ago, should I include my spouse's name in my passport? If yes, what is the procedure?

    1. It is better to include your spouse's name in your passport. For this, please file up EAP-II form and submit it along with marriage certificate, photocopy of spouse's passport (if she has one) and proof of stay (if the present address is different from the one in the passport). Note: The procedure is the same if one wants to include her husband's name in the passport.
  • 19.   I have a one-month-old baby? Does the baby require a separate passport Or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parents' passport?

    1. Endorsement of child's name in parents' passports is not allowed anymore. Minors should have separate passports.
  • 20. In case of a minor child passport, whose father/mother is not in Malaysia , whether consent is to be obtained to apply for a passport? If so, what is the procedure?

    Yes. Consent of the father/mother is required for submitting the application. It should be in the form of a Sworn Affidavit duly attested by the notary public in India or Indian Embassy/Consulate abroad.

  • 21. What is the difference between Re-issue and Renewal of a passport?

    Passports are Re-issued after the expiry of their 10-year validity period. If you had been issued a Short Validity Passport (i.e. a passport of validity less than 10 years) apply for renewal to extend the normal validity of the existing passport to 10 years.

  • 22. My passport expired 5 years ago. Can I Reissue/ Renew it? What is the procedure for it?

    In such a case, you have to fill up EAP 1 form and submit it along with original/photocopy of your expired passport and proof of your residence/address. However, since the passport expired 5 years ago, fresh police verification will be required in your case. A confirmation would also be required from Malaysian JPN authorities that you have not acquired/ applied for Malaysian citizenship.

  • 23. I am a student staying away from my parents. Where do I apply for passport and what proof of residence shall I have to furnish?

    For instance, if you are a student staying in Malaysia and your parents are staying in India, you can apply at the High Commission Of India, Kuala Lumpur. For this purpose, along with the application form you have to provide four Personal Particulars forms. Please also indicate your hostel address/the place where you are staying in Malaysia as present address and your parent's address in India as Permanent address.

    For proof of residence at your hostel/place of stay, either you should provide a letter from the Principal/Warden or proof of residence of the guardian with whom you are staying along with the guardianship affidavit.

  • 24. I shifted to Kuala Lumpur 7 months back from abroad. I have to apply for a passport. As per instructions, one should have stayed for at least one year at a given address. Can I apply for a passport at the High Commission Of India, Kuala Lumpur? If so, please let me know the procedure.

    Yes. You can apply at the High Commission Of India, Kuala Lumpur. For this purpose, you have to submit proof of seven months' stay in Malaysia and also mention the previous address in the application form.

  • 25. Is it mandatory to submit Birth Certificate in cases of those who are born on or after 26.01.1989.
    Yes, Birth Certificate issued by Municipal authorities/Indian Missions only is acceptable for those born on or after 26.01.1989.

  • Consular Services            Go to Top

  • 1. Does the applicant require to come in person for attestation, Birth certificate, Marriage certificate etc?

    Yes the applicant has to come in person to apply for all services at consular services counter.

  • 2. What is the fee for Attestation/Other Consular services?

    Click here for Other Consular Services

  • 3. Can I get certificates relating to name, birth, parents, spouse details, NRI Status, etc from Indian High Commission?

    Click here for Other Consular Services

  • 4. What is the procedure to apply for Police clearance certificate?

    The documents required are original passport, 2 photos and requisite fee. Processing time – same day in case of passports issued at Kuala Lumpur and 4 weeks or more in case of passports issued at other places subject to clearance.

  • 5. Can the documents be attested/notarized at IHC?

    Yes, Attestation of all Indian documents can be done in case the original document is produced and approved by the consular officer. The applicant has to submit the original with copy of the document to be attested. If the document is issued in India it has to be authenticated by the Consular Wing of the CPV division of MEA. The applicant should also bring the original passport for verification and submit copy of the passport (1st, 2nd last page and the page on which valid permit is affixed),

  • 6. Spouse is applying for passport of the child in India, and RPO is asking for verification of passport, how to go about it? i.e. affidavit.

    For attestation, the applicant has to come in person with original passport, identity card, 2 copies of the affidavit forms and requisite fee. The Affidavit of the spouse in Malaysia duly attested by the High Commission may then be sent to India for submission along with the application for the passport of the child in India. Processing time – same day.

  • 7. What are the requirements for giving Power of Attorney?

    In case of Indian nationals, for power of attorney the applicant has to come in person with original document, passport, identity card and requisite fee. Applicant should sign the Power of Attorney in presence of the Consular Officer. If a company or a foreign passport holder gives Power of Attorney then it should be notarized and attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Malaysia or the concerned Embassy as the case may be. The photographs must be affixed on POA and two copies of POA must be submitted.

  • 8. Can others apply for Certificates on the basis of passport entries if the applicant is not in Malaysia?

    No, the applicant has to be in Malaysia to apply for such certificates.

  • 9. What are the documents required for authentication of EMI & Contract of employment for recruitment of Indian workers?
    • 1. Company Profile
    • 2. Memorandum & Article, Form 9, Form 24, Form 49 ( Certified true copy by the Company's Secretary )
    • 3. English translation copy of KDN's Approval By the Court Interpreter and the original copy certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • 4. Copy of Foreign and Local Workers Pay Slip (Sample)
    • 5. Letter of Demand (to be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    • 6. Power of Attorney (to be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    • 7. Contract of Employment (Duly signed separately with each employee and by concerned office of the Protector of Emigrants - original and a copy)
    • 8. Affidavit (to be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
    • 9. License of Manpower Agent Either in original or photocopy duly attested (ink signed) by competent officer Protector of Emigrants, Ministry of Labour, Shram Shakti Bhawan
    • 10. Letter of Reference from concerned Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (certifying that membership and assuring that company will comply with the terms of contract)